Matt and I had planned on having a “Matt & Jenn” night on Saturday – change has been all around us lately and we felt going on a date (that included a card of course) would be perfect for a night together!
We headed to Bucktown to Café Matou. Right off the bat Matt and I felt a little out of place. We were seated so close to the other tables it was hard not to listen and pay attention to what was going on with other diners. As a result of the close quarters, we realized we were not getting the service offered to the other tables. Café Matou is reasonable priced and the food was pretty yummy but I would say skip this place! The seating and service killed it for us. Yes, we look young. Yes, our typical place is less stuffy but we still deserve top notch service.
I know all you really want is the down low on the food - Café Matou is unique because they change their menu daily (or so that is what they told the other patrons dining with them). Matt had the trout which was pared with delicious mushrooms and rice and I went with the steak that was cooked to perfection and came with a roasted red onion with goat cheese. We were totally satisfied with out entrees though it was the service and atmosphere that wasn’t up to our standards. Café Matou does offer great desserts – the white mousse was amazing and so was their coffee.
It was great to have a date night together and that is what is most important! However, I’m ready for a redo date at a different location...good thing we have another 40 ahead of us in 2010!
Happy Eats,
Jenn and Matt

No comments:
Post a Comment