Sunday, February 21, 2010

Meatless Adventure-Spacca Napoli Pizzeria

Jenn & Matt 2.19.10

Lent is in full swing and I can’t eat meat on Friday’s which has an impact on what restaurant we venture to. Matt suggested I pick three options and he would pick the final destination - we ended up at Spacca Napoli Pizzeria in the Ravenswood neighborhood. I was excited to head to this Naples inspired Pizzeria that opened up on February 14, 2006. With a custom-built oven and inviting glow from the sidewalk this restaurant was bond to be a hidden little gem tucked away at 1769 W. Sunnyside.

Matt and I pulled up to Spacca Napoli and were immediately charmed; however upon entering we weren’t 100% sold. The wait time was only minutes but there seemed to be a little confusion at the front of the house. Once seated we were ready to partake in an adult beverage along with one of their Antipasti selections – we went with the Zucchine alla Scapece (fried zucchini marinated in white balsamic vinegar with fresh mint and garlic). The zucchini was extremely tasty but the mint overwhelmed the dish; needless to say Matt and I weren’t in love. For our main dish we were excited to try one of their famous pizzas from the fabulous pizza oven; we went with their special –Pizzeria Forentina. This white based pizza was topped with marinated spinach, mozzarella and ricotta. Hands down the dough was fabulous; it was full of flavor and extremely delicious. I think if we would of chosen a pizza with more flavorful toppings we would have been satisfied but this pizza left us wanting more.

Would we head back to Spacca Napoli Pizzeria? Yes, however we would change up our order a bit. The pizza dough was so amazing we would go back to grab a pizza pie for sure. However, this wasn’t the hidden gem we were expecting!



Bon Appetit!

Jenn and Matt

1 comment: